Friday, April 11, 2008

Idol Gives Back

This past week on American Idol they had an American Idol gives back special where they raised money for different causes. They showed a bunch of clips of different celebrities in Africa or in different slums in America helping out. I am usually callous to those clips of starving children or children infected with AIDS, and I hate how celebrities act up to the camera. Like Celine Dion and the Mannings, I’m sure as soon as the cameras turned off they were like I’m outta here.

But one clip almost moved me to tears. There was one with Forest Whitaker and his wife in Africa and these 3 little kids were showing the couple their house and where they slept. Basically they slept on the concrete floor and all 3 of the kids slept on this little spongy mat hardly big enough for one of them. Just seeing those kids arranging themselves on that mat so all of them could fit just broke my heart. They showed Forest Whitaker and his wife outside crying and trying to collect themselves and I really felt their genuine pain. As a father I couldn’t imagine my son living in those conditions. I don’t even want to think about it now.

Maybe that’s why I fast forward whenever I see something like that because it’s easier to just not think about it and pretend it’s not happening. After all what can one person do? A lot apparently. I used to be Bono hater. I thought he was such a poser, but that guy is pretty awesome. He does so much for charity and despite criticism, I think he is one man making a huge difference in the world. I didn't know this but he was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize several times.

3 comments:

heh said...

i fast forward those parts, too.

Anonymous said...

i didn't know he was nominated for the nobel peace prize! that's awesome! woo hooo.

as for fast forwarding those parts, i think it's important to feel saddened by the world's state sometimes... get a kick in the butt so that we become... "better"

heh said...

feeling sad is impractical. if i feel sad, i have to follow through and do something about it. feeling sad alone is just for my own self and conscience so that i could feel better. don't know if that makes sense.