Friday, July 13, 2007

Do I Hate My Family?

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple."

Today's QT made me think about how real God is to me. If for some unforeseen horrible chance that Christian were to die, would I be able to forgive God? Would I be able to get past it and just continue to delight in the Lord and the fact that I will see Christian in heaven someday? I don't know the answer to that. I hope I will never have to face that decision.

Just being a father makes a lot of things in the Bible that much more real to me. I wouldn't ever be able to sacrifice my son the way Abraham did. Do I really love God more than my family? I have to say that it doesn't really show in my life. I am so thankful to God right now because everything is going well in my life. But I know how cruel life can be sometimes and all of this can be turned around in an instant. Will I still be thankful then?

Yesterday in my class I took a personality inventory test. One of the areas that I scored low in was my overall negative and pessimistic outlook on life and in people. Basically I feel that all of us have very little control over our lives. We can try to plan all we want, but whenever life wants to take its cruel turn of events, it will. I am also very mistrusting and very critical of people. Basically I think that all people are inherently no good. So whenever people do something crazy or just let you down, it never surprises me. Some people say, "I can't believe he would do that.", or something to that affect, but I always say, "Why are you so surprised?" Some may call that pessimistic, I call it being real.

If life has always given you flowers and sunshine, and you have a very positive/optimistic outlook on life, then consider yourself one of the lucky ones. If life always throws you lemons and you always make lemonade, then screw you.

10 comments:

Jonathan said...

is there such thing as "gray area" in Christian life?

Anonymous said...

i think there is are a lot of gray areas

-mary

Jin said...

I'm all about the gray. But please do elaborate Jonathan.

Jin said...

Yeah that sounds about right. Hahaha.

joe said...

jin, thanks for sharing from your QT & i loved the way you ended your blog.

i want to share a phrase which you'll probably hate. it is too simplistic but i'm gonna share it anyway...

"hardhips will either make you bitter or better"

Jin said...

Yeah you're right...I hate it.

John R said...

What verse is the quote from? The Bible quotes Jesus as saying that?? For real?!

Jin said...

Luke 14:26

Jonathan said...

hmm.. like, Christian life is a commitment, just as marriage is a commitment- even tho in living Christian lives we often fall away in temptation. but commitment is such a black/white thing- either we follow or we don't. rev3:16 says something about being lukewarm, and Jesus during his earth days spoke about love growing cold -- and your QT verse made me wonder how Jesus sees us and the world that we live in.

so.. as for the gray area, i meant it in terms of commitment (and not necessarily as a degree of sin or spirituality, because we'd have an endless discussion of our sinful nature and lose focus on God's unconditional love.) but seeing many theologians still engaged in heated debates just about anything Christian makes me think- there must be a lot of gray area somewhere.

Jin said...

Well I am definitely taking this verse out of context, but the application is still good.

Basically, to put God first above all things even your family and yourself. That is pretty black and white.

Do we as Christians do this? I think the answer is no. But do some Christians get tested in this area such as a death of a child? Yes.