Christians get a bum rap these days. I read an interesting article on Tim Tebow the other day, it’s so fascinating how much buzz this guy is getting. Mostly because he’s winning, but it’s also fueled by his in your face faith in Jesus Christ. It’s funny even the most devout NFL players are telling him to tone it down a little, “You’re making us all look bad here Tim.”Tim Tebow is under such a microscope I hope he never falls publicly, as the media would have a field day with him. It’s unfair really, in my opinion. I never understood the concept where people think Christians are the most perfect people. I guess there are some that portray a squeaky clean image, but I’ve never personally been to a church service where I felt like I was surrounded by perfect people. Who would want to go to a church like that, even if it did exist???
From what I know of the Bible, Jesus came for the sick. He hung out with prostitutes, the crippled/diseased, tax collectors, women caught in adultery, lepers, cheats, thieves, drunkards, idolaters, and murderers, the unclean and outcasts of society basically. In fact he shied away from the “perfect Christians” of those days, the Pharisees and teachers of the law. He not only avoided them, he insulted them and rebuked them every time he got the chance. He called them hypocrites, white washed tombs, and a brood of vipers. I cannot think of a harsher insult than a brood of vipers, he is basically calling them children of the devil.
What I’m getting at, is that Jesus came for the sinners. When I go to church and look around all I see are sick and hurt people who need daily forgiveness. I’m not saying this is a get out of jail free card and Christians have a license to sin, but I don’t think we are better than any body else. We struggle with the same issues, we are all broken and we live in the same broken world. Most of us come from broken homes, abuse, addiction, violence, you name it. And because of this we have various pathologies, disorders, sicknesses and we come to the great physician for healing.
"It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." (Mark 2:17)
No comments:
Post a Comment