Monday, December 19, 2011

God is Our Refuge and Strength

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore I will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.

I just got done emailing my spiritual grandmother Nellie. She is a prayer warrior and is always praying for me even though she lives all the way in Florida. I just got done asking her to pray for me to rely on God's strength, and this passage in Psalms was today's quiet time.

It's not like my life is dealing with such grand things like a mountain falling into a sea, although some are. Many times trouble comes more silently like a thief in the night in the forms of addiction or depression. Very subtle, yet the devastation that they leave is almost as destructive as an earthquake.

The holiday seasons are hard, epsecially for those without family. I remember being alone during the holidays with the bottle as my only companion. During those times when we feel we are utterly alone and are at our wits end, we have to trust that God is our refuge and strength.

No comments: