1 Timothy 6:17-18
Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.
Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share.
On her blog the other day my wife posted these wonderful words of affirmation. "I love that you are so generous and you don't let your possessions possess you. "
I've never really been someone who puts too high a value on money and material possessions. I've never really been overly ambitious either.
I fault myself sometimes for not being ambitious. When my peers were in school at Cal, most of them had a plan, a track towards making lots of money. I won't say they were obsessed, but they were very diligent. Me, I forwent the money and wanted to make a difference and become a high school counselor. Even went to grad school for counseling but lost my way (I will save this story for another day).
What am I saying here, ah yes, though I have never put too much time and effort into the pursuit of money, God has blessed me richly. I have never been in want and in fact live in excess. Although I don't allow my possessions to control me, I do believe that there should be no guilt for Christians in enjoying the finer things in life. After all God has placed all things here on earth for our enjoyment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
It's a fine line between enjoying the blessings God's provided and endulging though.
Maybe I am too hard on myself but I often find myself saying (like the last scene in Schinder's List) if I don't do/buy this/that, I could provide one month's education for a child in a third world country. Of course I'm not saying I'm like Mr. Schindler or anything.
indulge. sorry.
i remember the Christmas dinner we had at your place, when we watched Love Actually and ate home-made pizza.
i think more than money, giving time and hospitality leave a bigger impact on people.
thanks
Yeah I too am reminded of that scene in Schindler's list from time to time, but you can't live like that. There is just too much sorrow in the world and to put it all on your shoulders is not your responsibility.
With that said, yes indulgence of any kind is a sin and it is our duty to share the wealth with those around us. But the gospel is freeing and not restricted by rules and regulations. I think you can enjoy some of the finer things in life.
Why do some people at church hate on that oil changer guy because he drives a nice car and live in a nice house. Why not, he's worked hard and diligently for them. He is also very generous with his money and time, as we all know. Know one can judge, only God.
I hear what you are saying but I wouldn't say more than money. The love of money is a very dangerous thing, that's why it is talked about so frequently in the Bible.
If you can't let your purse strings go, you are probably stingy with your time too.
Not you, but one.
"i think more than money, giving time and hospitality leave a bigger impact on people."
i'm not sure i agree with that. well, for the people around me, in the US, that might be true but globally speaking, $30 a month given to compassion has much more impact than sharing a $30 meal with a friend.
why'd you have to mention the "oil-changer guy". i love that man. i believe he will have a big reward in heaven for the diligent work he has done for God's kingdom. :>
I said all good things.
Post a Comment