Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Is Samson Not A Good Name?

I wonder why more people don't name their kid Samson. Okay he flew from the hip a lot and because of his anger a lot of people close to him suffered/died/got burned to death and he had a thing for Philistine prostitutes, but don't we all? God did raise him as a Judge and leader of the Israelites during a time of Godlessness and persecution by the Philistines. And apparently he was a good leader because he was worth mentioning in Judges during a time when there were no Godly people. At the conclusion of Judges 15 it is said that "Samson led Israel for twenty years in the days of the Philistines."

But like all of us Samson has a lot of flaws. He had serious issues with his anger, I mean when this guy got mad thousand would die at his hands. He had issues with lust, which eventually led to his demise. But at the end he repented and God once again restored his strength and he was able to vindicate himself by destroying the pagan temple and over 3000 of the Philistines that were gathered there.



So once again, why not name your kid Samson. I actually thought about it as a potential name for my son Christian. Would it be folly to name my second son Samson? It’s a very strong sounding name and it kind of rolls off the tongue nicely, Samson Choi. Maybe I am getting ahead of myself because Mary thinks our second kid will be a daughter, but I feel God will bless with me with a second son.


On a side note there was a Korean drama called My Lovely Samsoon, and everyone made fun of this girl because she was named Samsoon. I guess it's an ugly name for a Korean girl.

3 comments:

joe said...

wow jin, your blogs are getting so deep & thoughtful. but i still think that mary's blogs are more interesting. just kidding. if you have a daughter how about samantha or sammy? maybe she'll be a really muscular girl.

mary said...

You should be named Samson. hahahaha..

=)

don't assume God will bless "you" with a second son. Maybe God will bless "me" with a girl. =)

he he

anway, about the name Samson, I think people don't use it much because he didn't display good character. most of the things written about him make him look like a person who is controlled by his own desires.

Jin said...

Ouch PJoe that hurts. Actually Sam for a girl is kind of cool.

That's funny James my friend Jae said the same thing.

I should be named Samson! Can everybody call me Samson from now on?

I think another boy is on the horizon.

Still Samson was a godly man worth mentioning in the Bible. Most of the great leaders in the Bible had great flaws.