Colossians 3:18-4:1
Instructions for Christian Households
18 Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.
19 Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.
20 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.
21 Fathers,do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.
22 Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. 23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. 25 Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for their wrongs, and there is no favoritism.
19 Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.
20 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.
21 Fathers,do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.
22 Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. 23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. 25 Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for their wrongs, and there is no favoritism.
4 Masters, provide your slaves with what is right and fair, because you know that you also have a Master in heaven.
How fitting that this is the passage for today's quiet time. I haven't done quiet time in months, and then all of a sudden I get this overwhelming desire and I kept muttering to myself, "I need the word, I need the word".
You see things are well with me and they have been for quite some time, and that's when I neglect my relationship with the Lord. I don't need him during the good times.
But I've been feeling more and more empty these days and I think it's because I have not been doing what I've been created for, which is praising and meeting with God in the garden.
How fitting this is the passage, because this is another reminder that I can't neglect my wife just because things are well. Have I been loving her as I should, or have I been coasting on the lazy highway?
Have I been interacting and teaching my kids or have I been letting the TV do all the parenting for me? Am I pushing them too much or am I gently and lovingly guiding them? You know the character of your boys, you have to treat them differently, push one and pull the other. Remember how you father pushed you away and discouraged you.
God is the ruler of all. We do have earthly bosses. Ironically it was my bosses turn to do the dishes this week in our company kitchen. She didn't do them, so I did them for her. But I made sure she knew that I did it, jokingly. But I didn't get as much kudos as I expected. I knew I should have done it quietly and joyfully as a praise to the Lord instead of trying to get something for it. Who is the Lord of all? Who sees all, who rewards for the things unseen. I've always struggled with this one. Living for the praise of man, who doesn't want recognition? But man's praise always comes short doesn't it? It's flawed, they may come to expect it, they may want to know your reasons, they may take it the wrong way. It's flawed because we're flawed.
Thank you God for this reminder today. You are good all the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment