Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Joshua son of Nun

I keep an ongoing list of my favorite quotes, bible verses, quiet time passages, and basically anything written that inspires me.

Today I added one about Joshua son of Nun. He was Moses’ aide, assistant and apprentice for 40 years. He was like a secretary, but he could kill you with his sword and probably his bare hands.

For 40 years he lived under the shadow of the great Moses. But he didn’t gripe and complain, instead he learned everything he could from this great man so that he could step up one day to be the leader of God’s people. Maybe he didn’t even have ambitions of leading the Israelites, but God was grooming him to step up one day.

I think I’m a pretty impatient person. If I want something I want it now. I’m like that with everything and work is no exception. I get impatient and feel like I am ready for the next step and want to move on to bigger and better things. But why not learn as much and everything that you can so that when you do move on to the next step you are not just mediocre, but great.

I think people rush into things too quickly these days. Gone are the days of apprenticeship where a young boy learns a trade from an experienced older craftsman in the hopes of one day replacing him. Of course modern times isn’t really suited for blacksmith apprentices, but patience is a virtue and God shapes and molds you everyday for the next step, and the funny part is you might not even know what the next step is.

5 comments:

joe said...

doesn't donald trump still have apprentices?

Jin said...

Aren't Jmo and Jonathan your apprentices? =)

Jonathan said...

forget apprenticeship. it's the world of ***** for Dummies and CliffsNotes.

joe said...

hey, i like that comment about junmo & jonathan. does jonathan still dress like me :>

Jin said...

Ahahaha!