I finally sold my car! I have been trying for about a year now. (I sound like an expectant mother)
The new dilemma is what kind of car to get. So I've been doing a lot of research, and my top 3 cars all got shot down by the boss. So I printed out a bunch of different cars in our price range from Autotrader that I didn't hate (Honda Accord, Civic, Camry), to see if there were any that she liked. We decided on the Acura TL 2002-2003. Originally I wanted to get a Subaru WRX wagon, and I still think it’s a good car for us. But the more I think about the Acura TL, I think it is also a good car for us. Of course I want to get the type S which has more horsepower and Mary of course thought that would be ridiculous considering the gas prices. It’s a constant battle.
Marriage is all about compromise. But I think Pastor Joe described it best when he called it a war. I sometimes feel like I am in a constant battle. Mary and I are way different, though we do have a lot of similarities that round us out. I do have to admit she is much more responsible and practical than I am. Purchasing a car is the perfect example. We kind of disagree on what is important.
But I don't think it's just me and her. I believe that all husbands and wives will inevitably have the car disagreement sometime in their life. For men, their car is not just a vehicle to get you from point A to point B and haul groceries, it’s more important than that. I don’t want to say that it is a direct extension of their manhood, because that's silly, but it is definitely more than just a vehicle. It is an expression of who they are.
Ever since we were kids, we played with cars. All throughout our childhood and into our early teens every boy dreamt about owning a nice sports car. That’s why you see so many old men driving around in expensive sports cars, because we never truly grow out of it. There are two things that can make a man stop dead in his tracks and make his jaw drop, a hot woman, and a nice sports car. Well for me, maybe a hot, nice steak too.
Girls never played with cars, they didn’t spend their early years dreaming about cars, reading car magazines, building model cars, going to car shows, watching Dukes of Hazzard, Knight Rider, etc. They will never understand men’s passion with cars. Of course getting a type S because it has more horsepower is ridiculous, that’s the whole point!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Well, as you say, there is definitely that divergence in opinion in car matters between husband and wife. But I'd like to note that it's probably most married women who have kids who want practical and reliable over looks and performance. Single women (like me, but I'm ususual, I have very "guy-ish" hobbies and tastes), really dig sports cars too; not just men.
But I tend to side with Mary on this one; given your circumstances. Wouldn't it be cool though if you can have his and her cars? Then you would never have to argue.
Susan
mmmm...hot steak...(says this like homer simpson)
susan
I think you can have both. And that is why I think the Acura TL Type S and the Subaru WRX are both good because they made these cars for men in my situation. =)
i love "ridiculous"
it's all about values.
may i add a hot donut to your list? there is nothing like a hot/warm fresh donut among bakery goods.
if you consider a car a gadget, then it is one of the most (if not the most) expensive toy. recently, i decided to give up on having a nice car until later years of my life, cuz there are other goodies i want that cost money (macs, cameras, and lenses to list just a few).
renee and i didn't argue much about cars, but when i made decision i almost cried. that's when i thought of a fresh hot donut.
Ridiculous is sometimes good. =)
That's funny Josh.
Post a Comment